Here, You can download GUI equipped debris flow simulator "Kanako".(日本語はこちら)
To prevent and reduce sediment-related disaster, Sabo dam is conducted. It is important to plan the Sabo dam design (such as type, location, dimension, etc) is the most appropriate in each specific area in order to get an effective and efficient design that have enough effect.
Then, the simulation program, that placed the numerical simulation model, was proposed as a tool to verify the effect of erosion control by Sabo dam in sediment transport process during debris flow occurred. However,
these programs did not get an enthusiastic response from the user because its performance and display had difficulty being understood, not more communicative and needed certain expertise to compile.
Therefore, it is a fact that could not apply the numerical simulation program for oneself and prefer to order the calculation works to the consultant.
Debris flow simulator “Kanako”, that mounted the user interface used easily this time, was developed based on the above-mentioned current state.
This generation of simulation program is easier to use and more communicative, the user can input or change the calculation condition according to their desire condition only by using mouse on the menu facilities or graphics displayed.
On the other hand, simulation result can also be understood intuitively by user. As a result, it becomes possible to conduct a numerical simulation to calculate flow and piling up process of debris flow even if there was no advanced expertise.
||Riberbed profile can be changed
||Effect of closed dam and
open dam can be calculated.
||The discharge of debris flow can be changed
||Trainsition of water depth and
riverbed can be checked from screen
■Limit and assumptions of using Kanako
As written below, there are some limit and assumptions on analysis using Kanako.Please notice that there are some limit and assumptions when using Kanako.
1. The target is stony debris flow. And bed load is off the subject.
2. In the simulation, only one Mountain River is the subject. We don’t consider the confluence of Mountain Rivers.
3. We consider only 2 kinds of material size of the debris flow at 1-D model,and 1 kinds of material size of the debris flow at 2-D model.
4. Considering slit type sabo dam, the model does not currently incorporate energy loss from the rapid narrowing of river width at 1-D area.
5. In the calculation, a rectangular cross section is assumed.
6. We don’t consider sediment sorting in the stony debris flow.
7. We don’t consider the temporal and spatial change of grain size distribution in river bed.We don’t consider the temporally and spatially change of grain size distribution in river bed.
Copyright for this software belongs to Laboratory of Erosion Control, Division of Forest Science, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, & SABO Technical Center.
The user may not take any of following actions, without permission of the License owner (here in after called “Owner”) :
(1) Copy, modify or otherwise duplicate the whole or a part of the Software
(2) Decompile or modify using reverse engineering, disassemble, or otherwise reprogram the Software;
(3) Distribute, sell, sublease or lease the Software to third parties;
(1) The owner makes no warranty or representations that the Software will run uninterrupted or is error free.
(2) The owner shall not guarantee that the functions and performance of the Software will meet the requirements of the customer.
(3) The owner shall not be responsible for losses sustained by the customer or the recovery of damages incurred by a third party, or any other cost incurred in using the Software.
4.Change of Specifications
The specifications or design of the software and the contents of the instruction manual may be changed without notice by the owner.
■Installation and Startup
The operating environment for software installation is as follows:
- CPU: Intel Pentium or equivalent
- Memory: 128 MB or more
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98/2000/XP
- Hard Disk: Needs free space of at least 600 MB
-Necessary software: Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1
Sometimes, PC on Windows XP, Kanako can not start.And almost that happens because the version of .NET Framework is old or not installed.
Maybe error message as "mscoree.dll could not be found", "mscoree.dll could not be loaded" ，“The application failed to initialize (0xc0000135), click Ok to terminate the application”will be displayed.
In this case, please install NET Framework1.1.To install "NET Framewrok1.1", go to Microsoft website, and download "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package"
Download the “bin file” and save it on your computer. Then follow the normal procedure for software installation.
When you start ‘Kanako’, default file and exe file must be set in the same folder. And it is better to keep default file unchanged, so when you want to change some parameters, please copy and make another file.
To start up, double click the exe file.
3.Notice for 2-D model
(1)When you start ‘Kanako2D.Ver.2.051’, 4 data files and exe file must be set in the same folder. Data files are ‘defaultwk’1-D landform and simulation variables,
‘wadako2-z’ 2-D movable bed altitude, ’wadako2-zs’ 2-D fixed bed altitude,’wadako2-id’ 2-D calculation flag.
(2)And it is better to keep these 4 setting file unchanged, so when you want to change some parameters, please copy and make another file.
■Limitation of input data number
Maximum of calculation points is 500. Though, due to the monitor screen size, downstream to No.100 point sometimes can’t be seen on the screen. But even in those cases,
calculation is done properly and you can see and check the result from the output data.
For 1-D area, maximum of calculation points is 500. Though, due to the monitor screen size, downstream to No.100 point sometimes can’t be seen on the screen.
But even in those cases, calculation is done properly and you can see and check the result from the output data.
For 2-D area, maximum of calculation points is 100 x 100. The initial setting condition is 60 x 60. The number of the flow axis and cross direction can be different
(e.g. such as 60 x 100) but the grid is limited to the square lattice.
■Limitation of output data number
Due to limitations of array elements, the upper limit of the number of the output hydrograph data results is 1000
(The minimum value at “hydrograph output data writing intervals” that can be set depending on the computing time changes).
Due to limitations of array elements, the upper limit of the number of the results data outputs is 1000 (The minimum value
at “time interval of output river profile data” that can be set depending on the computing time changes).
And, for the convenience of the variable type specification, the resulting output interval (in seconds) should be set as integer value.
"Kanako" is freeware.You may click here to get "Kanako" .
Laboratory of Erosion Control, Division of Forest & Biomass Science
Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University
Mailing Address:sakyou-ku, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan
Sabo Technology Research Institute,SABO TECHNICAL CENTER, Japan
Mailing Address:4-8-21, Kudan-Minami, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0074, Japan
(c) SABO Technecal Center